What will be found on each floor of Alkek Library:
Second Floor Map
- This is where you go to get help with research.
- Check out books and other materials.
- Pick up Interlibrary Loan items and get aTexshare card.
- Clear holds on your account or pay fines.
Workstations and Printers
- Access Internet and Microsoft production software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and etc.) on all but a few of the computers.
- If you have problems printing, there is a printer help station or you can ask for help at the Reference desk.
Third Floor Map
Reserve, Periodicals, and Media Desk
- Print copies of reserve items (books, old tests, articles, etc.).
- DVDs, CDs, and other types of materials like 3-D objects.
- You can check the Reserves collection to see if something is on reserve. Search by course or professor's last name.
Newspapers, Current Magazines and Journals
- Current issues shelved alphabetically by title of periodical.
- Older issues are bound together by volume or replaced by microfilm/fiche.
- Older Periodicals (1960-Present)
Microfilm/fiche and Readers
- Scan, then email or save articles, book chapters etc.
Fourth Floor Map
- The Computer Lab provides both PC and Macintosh hardware, with a more extensive software collection than most computers on most Library computers. Software includes Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and SPSS.
- You'll need to check in at the Computer Lab desk and leave your student ID.
Government Information/Maps/Curriculum Materials
- Alkek Library is a Federal and State depository for government documents.
- The area has lots of good stuff, like maps, and the special map printer/plotter.
- It's also where you can check out textbooks used in the Texas public schools (elementary and high school).
Floors 5, 6, & 7
- Most of the books and other materials you can check out of the library are on these floors.
- Individual & group study rooms are also available on these floors.
- The 5th & 6th floors are designated as the "quiet floors."