Subject dictionaries, encyclopedias, and handbooks typically provide background essays, definitions, broad overviews of various topics, or other pertinent facts. They also provide a quick overview of authors and their works.
CQ Weekly Report
Facts on File
Great Speeches for Criticism and Analysis
Index to American Women Speakers 1828-1978
Landmark American Speeches
Newspapers of record -- The following newspapers often print entire speeches or long excerpts of important speeches: New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Christian Science Monitor.
Nobel Lectures, Literature
Penguin Book of 20th Century Speeches
The Penguin book of historic speeches
Representative American Speeches
Speech Collections/Browsing -- Browsing may be helpful if no specific speech is sought. Useful call number ranges for shelf browsing are:
- General collections — PN 4199-4355 & PN 6121-6129, 6th Floor
- British Speeches — PR 1321-1329, 6th Floor
- American Speeches — PS 660-668, 6th Floor
- Sermons — BV 4240-4316, 5th Floor
- Speech Index, 1935-1980
- Speeches of the American Presidents
- Vital Speeches Of the Day -- Includes speeches made by executives, politicians, and other national figures.
- We Shall Be Heard: Index to Speeches by American Women 1978-1985
- What They Said (1969-1991) -- Use to find excerpts of speeches. Gives citation to resource containing full text of speech.
- Government Documents:
- Messages of the Presidents, 1789-1897 — Y 4.P93/1:3/1-10
- Public Papers of the Presidents — AE 2.114:
- Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents, Current issues in Gov Docs AE 2.109; Back issues on microfilm, J80.A24, 3rd floor
- Congressional Information Service (CIS), 1970 to present. Indexes speeches made at Congressional hearings.
- Congressional Record (and its earlier titles) -- Like the CIS above, the Congressional Record may also access Congressional speeches. 1789-1960 on microfilm, 3rd floor; 1873-present, in Government Documents, 4th floor
Quotations or Passages from Speeches
Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations — Reference PN6081 .B27
Strong's New Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible — Reference BS425 .S8
- Indicates where words are mentioned in the Bible.
Granger's Index to Poetry — Reference PN1022 .G7
Biography and Genealogy Master Index
Biography Reference Bank
Biography Resource Center
Current Biography (1940 to present) — Reference CT100 .C8
- Lengthy articles on prominent people. Also available via Biography Reference Bank database.
Dictionary of American Biography — Reference E176 .D56
- Information about deceased prominent Americans from 1776-20th century.
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography — Reference DA28 .O95
- Information about deceased prominent Britons.
Who Was Who in America — Reference E176 .W64
- Information about prominent deceased Americans from 1607-1989.
Who's Who — Reference DA28 .W6
- Information about prominent Britons. 1971-1994; older volumes on 5th Floor under same call number.
Who's Who in America — Reference E663 .W56
- Information about prominent living Americans. Editions from 1970 to present; older volumes on 5th Floor under same call number.
Who's Who in the World — Reference CT120 .W5
- Information about prominent people worldwide.
Criticism or Background Information
- Indexes scholarly journals AND popular magazines from a variety of disciplines and/or interests. Includes some full-text articles.
- Day By Day, The Forties
- Day By Day, The Fifties
- Day By Day, The Sixties
- Day By Day, The Seventies
- Day by Day, The Eighties
- Chronicle of the Twentieth Century
- Chronicle of the World