Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips for Finding Books
Types of Searches
- Combine terms using AND.
- This search returns records that contain words that match exactly what you typed in.
- This is often (but not always) the best place to start.
- Catalog uses pre-defined subjects.
- This type of search works well if you are browsing for a particular subject that you know or a broad term. So if you aren't finding anything, switch to the keyword search instead.
- Subjects are arranged using the Library of Congress Classification system.
- Author searches are for looking for items a particular person has authored or written.
- The library catalog works best if you type in searches in the format "Lastname, Firstname."
- If you want books about a person, search for their name by subject.
- Use this search if you know the title of the material that you want.
Locating books and other materials in the Alkek Library
- Call Numbers will guide you to the location of physical items within the library.
- If you are having problems with finding a particular book, you can ask a librarian for help.
- This guide may also help you: Locating Books by Call Number
Finding Reference Material & Books
Reference material in the form of subject dictionaries, encyclopedias, and handbooks typically provide background essays, definitions, broad overviews of various topics, or other pertinent facts. The four bullets below list collections of searchable eReference titles:
- Credo eReference includes more than 580 reference books, including encyclopedias, dictionaries (English and foreign language), thesauri, books of quotations, as well as a range of subject-specific reference books.
- Sage Knowledge covers sociology, social work, multicultural and gender studies, political science, psychology, anthropology, criminal justice, health, and medicine.
Search for Books & More in the Library:
Use the Library Catalog to search the main collection for print resources, multimedia resources, and ebooks. The Catalog also provides location and availability details. Use "Quotation marks" when searching a phrase.
Start Your Research
Books, eBooks, and multimedia can also be searched using Start Your Research by limiting on the left to Library Catalog after a search is run.
Here are some subject heading you may wish to use when searching for supplementary materials. This is not intended to be an exhausted list.
- Couples Therapy
- Marital Psychotherapy
- Marriage Counseling
- Marriage -- United States -- Psychological Aspects
- Family Assessment
- Family Psychotherapy
- Families -- United States -- Psychological Aspects
ILL - FADS/GrADS - TexShare
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
ILL is a free library lending service available to current TxState students and employees. ILL borrows items from other libraries that the Alkek Library does not own. Use ILLIAD
, the online interlibrary loan request system, to order your ILL items. Typical turnaround for a book is 1-2 weeks and must be picked up at and returned to the library. Articles are sent to requestors via email.
Contact & Pick-up Info:
512.245.4893; Items can be picked up at the Checkout Desk on the 3rd floor of the Library.
Graduate Student Article Delivery (GrADS)
Via FADS and GrADS, Alkek Library delivers electronic copies of articles or book chapters (choose *article request* and put in page numbers) from our print journal collection right to your desktop or mobile device.