Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Maximize your keyword searches with Boolean searching. What's Boolean?
- "Put a phrase in quotation marks" to make sure it gets searched as a phrase instead of individual words.
- *Using an asterisk will substitute for searching multiple words
- MATH* will retrieve:
math, mathematics, mathematician, mathematical, etc.
- Found one good article? Read through that article to find other terms an author uses that could apply to your search.
Selected Journals for Math Education
Educational Studies in Mathematics
Educational Studies in Mathematics presents new ideas and developments of major importance to practitioners working in the field of mathematical education.
Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
An official journal of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM).
Journal of Urban Mathematics Education (JUME)
The Journal of Urban Mathematics Education (JUME) is a peer-reviewed, open-access, academic journal published twice a year.
Mathematical Thinking and Learning
Mathematical Thinking and Learning is directed at researchers interested in mathematics education.
A magazine of the Mathematics Association of America.
Mathematics Teacher Educator
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) and the Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE) are excited to partner on this joint online journal.
Mathematics Teaching wishes to encourage contributors to express their personal views on the teaching and learning of mathematics.
Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School
Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School (MTMS) is an official peer-reviewed journal of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and is intended as a resource for middle school students, teachers, and teacher educators.
Teaching Children Mathematics
Teaching Children Mathematics (TCM) is an official journal of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics and is intended as a resource for elementary school students, teachers, and teacher educators.
The Mathematics Teacher
The Mathematics Teacher (MT), an official journal of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, is devoted to improving mathematics instruction from grade 8-14 and supporting teacher education programs.
The UMAP Journal
The UMAP Journal, published quarterly and available electronically with COMAP membership, blends contemporary teaching modules with commentaries and articles to create a boldly different periodical.
Scholarly research in education & education-related social issues. All levels of education from early childhood to higher education, and all educational specialties, such as multilingual education, health education, & testing.
ERIC from Ebsco
Education journals & documents (research reports, evaluation studies, curriculum guides & lesson plans collected by the U.S. Dept. of Education).
Peer reviewed journal articles and books in many disciplines. Benefit of this database is you can limit by methodology.
All education databases
Link out to all of Texas State University's databases for Education.
All mathematics databases
Link out to all of Texas State University's databases for Mathematics.
Tips for searching for studies
These three strategies can help you locate qualitative and quantitative articles as you search library databases.
- Limit your searches to Peer Reviewed articles. (This strategy will provide you with the most results.) Research studies that use qualitative and quantitative methods are published in peer reviewed journals. Not every article in a peer reviewed journal will be a research study, but limiting your results to articles in these journals will help you narrow the pool of articles you are looking through.
- Use keywords to help you narrow to qualitative or quantitative articles. If the articles you are finding in the peer reviewed literature are overwhelmingly not studies or not qualitative or quantitative it can sometimes be helpful to use keywords to help you locate articles that are one of those types of studies. Some keywords that can be helpful include qualitative, case study, interview, field study, ethnographic, quantitative, experimental, statistic, correlation. These are all terms that are either types of studies or are often used as part of the research method. You can also string together multiple terms with OR to indicate that you want one of the terms as part of your list of results. Example from ProQuest
- Use the PsycINFO Methodology limiter available both in Advanced Search as well as in your results list. (This strategy will provide you with the least number of results.) PsycINFO is the only database that we have that actually indexes (notes and makes searchable) the methodology used in a study. This means that you can conduct your search and in the Methodology box check the types of methodology you are interested in locating. You may want to keep your searches to broad topics (e.g. bullying) for this search as it is a psychology database. While there is an overlap between psychology and education, it is a more limited pool of content that you are searching.
This content is adapted from the Education Graduate Studies guide at Concordia University - St. Paul.