Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
You can build collections from the HathiTrust that you can search separately from the full HathiTrust database, providing the ability to perform focused searches on subsets of HathiTrust materials. These collections can be designated as "public" (available to anyone who goes to HathiTrust) or "private" (available only to you) and created permanently or temporarily. To create a permanent collection, you must login to HathiTrust with your Texas State Net ID and password.
Items can be added to collections either from the "PageTurner" interface, where pages of the book are viewed, or from the search results page in "Full-text Search". In both cases, items can be added to a new or existing permanent collection, or a temporary collection (a temporary collection is automatically created if the user is not logged in).
To create a permanent collection in HathiTrust, do the following:
- Login to HathiTrust with your Texas State Net ID and password.
- Click on the "Create New Collection" link.
- Name your collection and provide a description. (The description is optional.)
- Indicate whether it is a "Private" or "Public" collection.
- Click on the "Add" button.
In the future if you want to edit, change the private/public setting, or delete the collection, your collections will always be listed in the "My Collections" tab whenever you are logged in to HathiTrust.
Building Collections from the PageTurner (Single Items)
With this method, you can select single items to be added to your collection by going to the PageTurner for specific titles.
- Login to HathiTrust with your Texas State netID and password.
- If you haven't already done so, create your collection using steps in the box above.
- Search for topics of interest in the HathiTrust "Catalog Search" function.
- Click on either the "Full View" or the "Limited View" link to enter the PageTurner. Note: In some instances you will need to click on the "Catalog Record" link in order to see "Full View" or "Limited View" links.
- Use the "Add to Your Collection" function which is located on the left sidebar. The collections you have created are in a pull-down menu in that display. Select the collection and click on the "Add" button.
- Click on the "Catalog Record" link (at the top of the left sidebar) to return to the record for the item.
- Click on the "Next Record" link to go to the next record.
- Repeat this process for each item added to your collection.
Building Collections from a Full Text Search (Multiple Items)
With this method, you can select multiple items to be added to your collection.
- Login to HathiTrust with your Texas State netid and password.
- If you haven't already done so, create your collection using steps above.
- Search for topics of interest in the HathiTrust "Full Text Search" function.
- Use the check boxes next to each item to select it for a collection.
- Add the selected items to a collection by selecting the collection from the drop-down menu at the top of the display and clicking on the "Add" button.