These resources can be found on the Library Home Page through the Research Databases and then under the Communication And Journalism databases on that page. If you are not in the library you will be prompted for your Texas State username and password.
Databases that are considered core resources for researchers in communication studies. See all Communication And Journalism databases:
- CMMC offers cover-to-cover ("core") indexing and abstracts for over 300 journals, and selected ("priority") coverage of over 100 more, for a combined coverage of over 400 titles.
- Contains abstracts of articles published in 63 of the primary professional journals of the communications fields, including mass communication, journalism, mass media, and speech communication. Also contains Comvista - a directory of major communication & journalism universities and their degree programs by topic and location.
- Country information. Includes World Edition, Kids Edition, States Edition (U.S.) and Provinces Edition (Canada). Covers Land and Climate, History, Population, Language, Religion, Customs and Courtesies, Lifestyle, Government, Economy, Education, Health, Transportation and Communications. Current Country Information, Maps, Images, Native Recipes, Biographies, Downloadable Statistics.
Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text
- Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text is a database for film and television research. Subject coverage includes film & television theory, preservation & restoration, writing, production, cinematography, technical aspects, and reviews.
Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- Current social issues presented in topic pages with a variety of data on differing points of view.
Databases for Finding Speeches
You can see a list of all the library's speech databases from the "By Type" drop down menu on the Research Databases page.
- Approximately 126,500 full-text poems, 850,000 poem citations and excerpts, 5,000 full-text short stories, 2,800 full-text essays, 1,800 full-text speeches, and 1,000 full-text plays. LitFinder also includes biographies, work summaries, photographs, and a glossary.
Several speech indexes can be found by searching the library catalog for "speeches" and limiting to "Reference Collection" under the "Search Entire Collection" drop box.
The web resource American Rhetoric: The Power of Oratory in the United States includes speeches, theories, and exercises.
- This database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 9,300 journals and a total of 10,900 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1865, with the majority of full text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.
- Coverage: 1911-1955, Magazine and newspaper ads, image database.
Education Full Text
- Indexes over 400 English-language education periodicals, yearbooks, and books from 1983 to present. Some full text coverage available from 1996-.
- Indexes and abstracts articles published in over 700 education journals and thousands of research reports, evaluation studies, curriculum guides and lesson plans collected by the U.S. Dept. of Education, dating from 1966 to the present. ERIC contains a **limited** number of full-text articles/documents.
Emergence of Advertising in America: 1850 - 1920
- Over 9,000 images that illustrate the rise of consumer culture, especially after the American Civil War, and the birth of a professionalized advertising industry in the United States. Coverage: 1850-1920 of Advertising images and publications; broadsides, advertising cookbooks, billboards, signs, ephemera.
Health and Psychosocial Instruments (HaPI)
- Features material on unpublished information-gathering tools for clinicians that are discussed in journal articles, such as questionnaires, interview schedules, tests, checklists, rating and other scales, coding schemes, and projective techniques. Over 2/3 of the tools are in medical and nursing areas such pain measurement, quality of life assessment, and drug efficacy evaluation. In addition to medical measurement instruments, HaPI presents tests used in medically related disciplines including psychology, social work, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and speech & hearing therapy. Content is from 1985-Present.
Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
- LLBA provides abstracts to the world's published literature on the nature, use, and teaching of language. It covers all aspects of the study of language including phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, and semantics. Includes citations to book reviews appearing in serials abstracted for the print Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts.
MLA International Bibliography
- Indexes critical materials on literature, criticism, drama, languages, linguistics, folklore and some speeches. 1926 to present. Some full text articles. Citations to series, books, essay collections, working papers, proceedings, dissertations, & bibliographies.
Mental Measurements Yearbook with Tests in Print
- Provides users with a comprehensive guide to over 2,000 contemporary testing instruments. Designed for an audience ranging from novice test consumers to experienced professionals, the MMY series contains information essential for a complete evaluation of test products within such diverse areas as psychology, education, business, and leadership. First published by Oscar K. Buros, the MMY series allows users to make knowledgeable judgments and informed selection decisions about the increasingly complex world of testing. MMY provides coverage from Volume 9 to the present.
- The PsycARTICLES database covers general psychology and specialized, basic, applied, clinical and theoretical research. The database contains more than 40,000 articles from 56 journals - 45 published by the American Psychological Association (APA) and 11 from allied organizations. It includes all journal articles, letters to the editor and errata from each journal. Coverage spans 1985 to present.
- An electronic collection of book reviews featuring full text reviews of current scholarly and professional books in psychology. It also publishes reviews from a psychological perspective of popular films and trade books. PsycCRITIQUES also includes a searchable database of nearly 7,000 reviews dating back to 1995. PsycCRITIQUES is indexed with controlled vocabulary from APA's Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms.
Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection
- This database provides nearly 575 full text publications, including nearly 550 peer-reviewed titles. Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection covers topics such as emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods. Nearly every full text title included in this database is indexed in PsycINFO. This database is updated daily via EBSCOhost.
- Indexes and abstracts international journal articles and books in psychology, counseling and related fields, such as sociology, linguistics, medicine, law, physiology, business, psychiatry, and anthropology (from 1887 to the present). Indexes over 1,300 journals.
Science Citation Index Expanded
- Part of ISI's Web of Science, Science Citation Index (SCI) indexes over 6,000 journals and allows cited reference searching by author in addition to subject searching from 1900 to present.
- Indexes and abstracts approximately 1,000 Elsevier science journals covering a wide variety of science topics, including: life, physical, medical, technical, and social sciences. Some full-text coverage, including photo image, included. Full-text journals are described as "subscribed journals" in this database. Searches can be limited to only "subscribed journals".