Skip to Main Content

Scholars Task Force Resources: General University History

School Name Changes

Authorized by the Texas legislature in 1899, Southwest Texas State Normal School opened its doors in 1903. Over the years, we've broadened our scope and changed our name a few times as well:

  • 1918: Southwest Texas State Normal College
  • 1923: Southwest Texas State Teachers College
  • 1959: Southwest Texas State College
  • 1969: Southwest Texas State University
  • 2003: Texas State University-San Marcos
  • 2013: Texas State University

Sources for basic information about Texas State

Looking for basic information about campus?  Start here!  There are a wide variety of resources that provide information about overall University history - many of which are available online. 

The links below provide an overview of the history and culture of Texas State University.

Other Historical Resources

There are a number of other historical resources available beyond the Texas State campus that may be useful when conducting research.  This is a short list of select sites that have information related to Hays County, San Marcos, and our campus.