Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips for Finding Books
Types of Searches
- Combine terms using AND.
- This search returns records that contain words that match exactly what you typed in.
- This is often (but not always) the best place to start.
- Catalog uses pre-defined subjects.
- This type of search works well if you are browsing for a particular subject that you know or a broad term. So if you aren't finding anything, switch to the keyword search instead.
- Subjects are arranged using the Library of Congress Classification system.
- Author searches are for looking for items a particular person has authored or written.
- The library catalog works best if you type in searches in the format "Lastname, Firstname."
- If you want books about a person, search for their name by subject.
- Use this search if you know the title of the material that you want.
Locating books and other materials in the Alkek Library
- Call Numbers will guide you to the location of physical items within the library.
- If you are having problems with finding a particular book, you can ask a librarian for help.
- This guide may also help you: Locating Books by Call Number
Select Reference Resources
Reference material can be very useful for finding broad overviews on a topic:
Reference Universe (Paratext)
||Search contents of almost every reference work, whether in print or online, in the Texas State Universitity library collection. Searches result in relevant citations to articles and entries contained in various reference works, saving you time in researching each work individually.
||Online and print reference work entries and articles.
||1985 to present.
A collection of onine reference material that covers a variety of subject disciplines including counselling, sociology, social work, multicultural and gender studies, political science, psychology, anthropology, criminal justice, health & medicine. Main page allows for searching across all titles and subjects in the collection.
Subject Terms in the Catalog
Here are some subject heading you may wish to use when searching for supplementary materials. This is not intended to be an exhausted list.
- Communication in nursing
- Family nursing
- Geriatric nursing
- Pediatric nursing
- Nursing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Pharmacology -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Drugs -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses
- Nurse administrators
- Nurse and patient
Anthony Guardado, Head RRC Librarian