Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips for Finding Books
Types of Searches
- Combine terms using AND.
- This search returns records that contain words that match exactly what you typed in.
- This is often (but not always) the best place to start.
- Catalog uses pre-defined subjects.
- This type of search works well if you are browsing for a particular subject that you know or a broad term. So if you aren't finding anything, switch to the keyword search instead.
- Subjects are arranged using the Library of Congress Classification system.
- Author searches are for looking for items a particular person has authored or written.
- The library catalog works best if you type in searches in the format "Lastname, Firstname."
- If you want books about a person, search for their name by subject.
- Use this search if you know the title of the material that you want.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
is a Library lending service available to current TxState students and
employees. ILL borrows items from other libraries that the Alkek
Library does not own. Use ILLIAD, the online interlibrary loan request system, to order your ILL items.
It is free to use this service. Typical turnaround for a book is 1-2 weeks. If articles are found in electronic format, requests can be sent to you via.
Contact & Pick-up Info:
Items can be picked up at the Checkout Desk on the 3rd floor.
Please call 512.245.4893 or email with additional questions.
Request a card online through this TexShare card form or sign up in person at the Checkout Desk.
Texshare cards allow you borrowing privileges at many local libraries, including the following participating libraries.
- All current students and employees are eligible.
- Cards are valid for an entire semester.
- Materials must be returned to the same library from which they were borrowed.
- You are responsible for any charges for lost or damaged materials.
- Students that do not return items will have "holds" attached
to their records that prevent you from registering for classes, obtain
transcripts or grades, etc.
- For questions about TexShare contact the Checkout Desk at 512.245.3681 or via email
Geography call numbers
Here are some areas that you might choose to browse for geography materials.
|G 1 - 922
|G 1000 - 3122
|G 3180 - 9980
|GA 1 - 1776
||Cartography. Mathematical geography
|GB 3 - 5030
|GC 1 - 1581
|GE 1 - 350
|GF 1 - 900
||Human ecology. Anthropogeography
|HB 848 - 3697
|HD 101 - 1395
|QC 851 - 999
|QE 1 - 999
|S 590 - 599
|S 900 - 972
||Conservation of natural resources
|TD 1- 1600
Check the Library of Congress Classification Outline for more detailed information.