Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Important Library Services
The Research & Information desk is located on the 2nd floor, next to the Circulation/Reserves desk.
You can get research help, directions, and help locating materials in the library's collections at the desk, or make an appointment with your library liaison, Tara Smith, for expert research assistance.
You can call 512.245-2686, or text at 512.549.2032.
Hours for sessions are typically: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm.
- When making a request, please allow at least 3 business days for scheduling purposes.
- The subject librarian will email you to set up the appointment.
- If you do not hear from a librarian in 3 business days, contact the Research & Information Desk Assistant at 512.245.2686.
NEED HELP SOONER? Use the Ask a Librarian chat or email services:
- CHAT is answered immediately by the staff on call (M-F, 9am-8pm, Sat 11am-6pm, Sun 12pm-7pm).
- EMAIL will be answered within 2 business days by the subject librarian.
Request a card online through this TexShare Card request form or sign up in person at the Checkout Desk.
- Texshare cards allow you borrowing privileges at many local libraries, including the following participating libraries.
- All current students and employees are eligible.
- Cards are valid for an entire semester.
- Materials must be returned to the same library from which they were borrowed.
- For questions about TexShare contact the Checkout Desk at 512.245.3681 or via email
Log in to ILLiad to make an Interlibrary Loan request
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a Library borrowing service available to CURRENT Texas State students and employees. ILL borrows items from other libraries that the Alkek Library does not own.
Things to know:
- It is free to use this service.
- Typical turnaround for a
book is 3-10 days.
- Electronic items are quickest to arrive.
- You'll get an email notification when your items are ready for pickup.
- Electronic items are available for download in Illiad for 30 days.
- Pick up print items at Alkek at the Circulation/Reserves Desk on the 2nd floor.
- You must log in to Illiad at least 3 days before the due date to renew print items.
Please call 512.245.4893 or
email with additional
Browzine for Mobile Access to Theatre & Dance Journals!
General Information & Services
NUMBER OF ITEMS ALLOWED: All Texas State University borrowers are allowed to check out a maximum of 100 items.
Within that limit only 4 audio/visual materials, such as DVDs and CDs, may be borrowed at any one time.
Undergraduate Students have a 28 day checkout period with 3 renewals allowed.
Graduate Students have a 6 month checkout period with 2 renewals. .
Faculty have a 365 day checkout period with 2 renewals.
Renewals can be done online using or in person at the Circulation/Reserves Desk on the 2nd floor of Alkek Library. Call 512.245.3681 to renew by phone.
There are two multiple technology rooms to accomodate groups of up to six students. In addition to a large conference like table, each room has acomputer and two large screen displays. One room (480A) has video conferencing equipment.
The Alkek Library Collection Includes:
- More than 1.5 million printed volumes
- 99,700+ electronic journals
- 506,000 e-books
- 500+ databases
- Over a half-million microform & audio-visual materials