- A great resource for finding help in using ArcGIS tools, sample python codes and theoretical background of tools.
Arc News (ESRI). Subscribe for free newsletter
- A quarterly, printed publication distributed free of charge within the United States providing news on GIS, geospatial technology, and Esri software to the Esri user community as well as others interested in mapping and GIS technology.
- A monthly electronic magazine published by ESRI providing stories about real-world GIS applications, technical tips on how to use Esri software, interviews with GIS thought leaders, cartographic advice, event coverage and product news.
- A community of researchers and scholars engaged in multidisciplinary/interdisciplinary studies within a geographical context using high powered computers, advanced visualization capabilities and complex modeling techniques.
Geospatial Analysis Online
- A free, web-based resource that provides a comprehensive guide to GIS concepts, methods and tools.
GIS Certification Institute
- A tax-exempt, non-profit organization that provides the geographic information systems (GIS) community with a complete certification program, leading to GISP® (Certified GIS Professional) recognition.
- A web-based dictionary for all GIS related terms or words.
- A free, web-based resource that offers guidance about GIS software and provides links to some known GIS repositories.
- An information portal primarily relating to the field of geographic information systems.
GIS Jobs Clearinghouse
- A fee-restricted web resource for finding GIS related jobs.
It is a field of study that incorporates existing technologies and research areas of geographic information systems (GIS), cartography, remote sensing, photogrammetry, and surveying (also termed geomatics in the U.S.). GIScience relies on these fields to provide explanation and understanding to issues like data structures, analysis, accuracy, meaning, cognition, visualization, ethical usage of data within a geographic context.
Mango: The Beginner's Guide to GIS
- A helpful resource for anyone who is starting to learn GIS or would like to freshen up on their GIS knowledge. It is especially good for beginners.
Open Geospatial Consortium
- A web-portal providing information about Geospatial technologies and bringing users together.
Society for Conservation GIS Electronic Newsletter
- A non-profit organization that assists conservationists worldwide in using GIS through communication, networking, scholarships, and training.
- A society that aims at bringing various experts from diverse backgrounds together in solving problems using statistics.
Syracuse University - Working With GIS data
- A resource published by Syracuse University's online Master of Science in Library and Information Science program. This resources valuable GIS information such as a glossary list of GIS terms, a list of some popular free, open-source GIS software, and some unique examples of GIS maps (e.g. heat, category, quantity, bubble and dot density).
The R Project
- A community for R software users.
Wikipedia GIS Page
- A Wikipedia page dedicated to identifying various GIS software and extensions available.
- A free citizen-controlled web based resource that provides information about GIS applications and current trends in GIS.