Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Note to Faculty
Open Educational Resources (OER) are freely accessible online teaching and learning materials. They can be videos, textbooks, quizzes, learning modules and more. Using OER in your classroom will improve student engagement and success, provide immediate, equitable access to resources, save money for your students, and provide you a venue to use flexible, high-quality learning materials in your individualized curriculum. This guide collects the best-of-the-best OER and organizes them by college and department. Take a look and see what is available in your discipline.
- Open Textbook is a term used to indicate a Textbook that is fully OER.
- Public Resources are materials that are free, but licenses still protect the content in some way.
- Library Resources do not cost your students any money, and should also be considered as a means to lower the total cost of learning for your students.
- Low-cost resources: course materials that cost students $25 or less, in total.
Tips for finding and using OER and other affordable content:
- There are lots of OER materials out there. It takes time and persistence to find the ones that best fit your students' academic and research needs.
- Instead of focusing on the textbook that you want to replace, focus on what you want your students to know or do.
- Use the resources in this guide to find OER relevant to your discipline and courses. These links are great starting points but if you are not finding the OER that work for you, contact your subject librarian for personalized help.
- If you find an article in a library database that you want to use in a course, Library staff can help you with copyright considerations and provide access to the resource through reserves, embed in an online course, or on a website.
- Talk with your subject librarian with any questions you have about finding and using OER.
Links to more detailed information about OER and copyright:
Find eBooks owned by the Library
SAGE Open Medical Case Reports
A peer reviewed, open access journal. It publishes short case reports providing key insights into real medical cases essential for physicians, and that ultimately help to improve patient outcomes.
Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
OJNI is a free, international, peer reviewed publication that is published three times a year and supports all functional areas of nursing informatics.
Clinical Nursing Studies
A peer-reviewed and international nursing journal that focuses on the field of clinical nursing. Strong coverage of ambulatory care, community care, family care, home, hospital, practice, primary and secondary, public health, etc. is provided.
The Public Library of Science (PLOS) is a nonprofit publisher and advocacy organization founded to accelerate progress in science and medicine by leading a transformation in research communication. PLOS publishes a suite of influential Open Access journals across all areas of science and medicine.
The core mission of Europe PMC (http://europepmc.org) is to build open, full-text scientific literature resources and support innovation by engaging users, enabling contributors and integrating related research data.
Health Education Assets Library (HEAL)
A collection of over 22,000 freely available digital materials for health sciences education.
Digital Commons Network - medicine & health sciences
Brings together free, full-text scholarly articles from hundreds of universities and colleges worldwide. Includes peer-reviewed articles, book chapters, dissertations, working papers, conference proceedings, and other original scholarly work.
MedEdPORTAL Publications promotes educational scholarship and collaboration by facilitating the open exchange of peer-reviewed health education teaching and assessment resources.
OPENPediatrics is an open access educational platform and online community of clinicians sharing best practices from all resource settings around the world through innovative collaboration and digital learning technologies.
College Open Textbooks - Medicine
A collection of peer-reviewed, open textbooks available online or for download.
InTech - medicine
InTech is the publisher of one of the largest multidisciplinary open access collection of books covering the fields of Science, Technology and Medicine.
CDC Public Health Image Library
PHIL offers an organized, universal electronic gateway to CDC's pictures. We welcome public health professionals, the media, laboratory scientists, educators, students, and the worldwide public to use this material for reference, teaching, presentation, and public health messages.
Data & Statistics
Explore datasets, tools, and applications related to health and health care. These resources come from across the Federal Government with the goal of improving the health and lives of all Americans.
CDC Data & Statistics
Data and statistics provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It is a public domain Web site, which means you may link to CDC.gov at no cost and without specific permission.
Partners - Health Data Tools & Statistics
Partners in Information Access for the Public Health Workforce is a collaboration of U.S. government agencies, public health organizations, and health sciences libraries which provides timely, convenient access to selected public health resources on the Internet.