Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Resoures related to the depression years at Texas State
Items from this list were included in and inspired by a student paper on the depression years and their impact on Texas State. This is not a complete list, but merely a way to start research on the topics.
A history of the Southwest Texas State Teachers College by Roger Franklin French
This 1939 thesis by Roger French covers the early history of the college plant, internal development, and student activities. It also includes brief sketches of presidents Thomas G. Harris and C.E. Evans.
The student yearbook.
Southwest Texas State Teachers College : a documentary history (Vol. I) by Ruby Henderson, 1939
This is a 1939 thesis by Ruby Henderson. Topics include early history of teacher training in Texas, establishing the normal school, faculty listing, the laboratory school, management of the college, and matters regarding enrollment and graduates.
Fifty years of teacher education : a brief history of Southwest Texas State Teachers College, San Marcos, Texas, 1901-1951
The first of three official published histories about Texas State, written to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the date that the City of San Marcos donated the land upon which the school was built.
Course catalogs provide information about the school and the physical plant.
Citations have not been verified.
- Total college enrollment grows. San Marcos Record, January 10, 1930, p.8 (reprinted from the Detroit Free Press).
- Summer school appropriation passed in Senate. San Marcos Record, March 31, 1931, p.1.
- College girls observe "Cotton Dress Day." San Marcos Record, April 3, 1931, p.5.
- Home employment. San Marcos Record, September 25, 1931, p.6.
- First basketball game in new gym 2:30 Saturday afternoon. San Marcos Record, February 26, 1932, p.1.
- 250 new students register for second half of summer term. San Marcos Record, July 22, 1932, p.1.
- Dr. Evans attends meeting of state college prexes. San Marcos Record, September 9, 1932, p.1.
- President Evans returns from an important meet. San Marcos Record, November 18, 1932, p.5.
- The threat of closing, by C.E. Evans. San Marcos Record, December 9, 1932, p.1.
- Colleges in distress. Dallas Morning News, December 18, 1932, p.10-III.
- Students use questionnaire to voice reactions to state teachers colleges. San Marcos Record, January 6, 1933, p.1.
- Poage bill to abolish colleges killed in Senate. San Marcos Record, March 10, 1933, p.1.